As COVID-19 has spread to almost every inhabited part of the world, and lockdowns are being enforced by more and more governments, most of which have already closed their borders for foreigners, travel bans are also now a fact. The once-bustling cities have now been silenced, with even their own citizens having been barred from traveling abroad for any other reason except the essential goods and other necessities.
But what about business trips that can not be canceled or postponed? What should all business travelers around the world know and be aware of?
If travel is permitted by your government, perform a rapid risk analysis taking into account various factors, such as destination, your health’s condition, the trip’s duration, the likelihood of spreading in your destination during the trip, as well as your destination’s population density.
In general, risk assessments weigh probability and impact. How likely is it that something will happen? And which is the impact if it happens?
So, how do I get started?
• Check all your upcoming trips and conduct a country risk assessment.
• Cancel all trips that do not meet the risk assessment criteria.
Check out all the new travel instructions during this period to save valuable time and possibly money.
• Think of ways to accomplish the purpose of this business trip, remotely.
Of course, it’s not necessary to cancel all business trips, as not every country in the world has been equally affected. However, no one knows which city or country could be hit hardest afterward and the situation can be reversed any day, any hour!
Therefore, you need to consider the following criteria to finally decide whether or not to cancel your business trip:
• The respective international and national guidelines
• How do you really feel at the thought of traveling? Is it something that excites you? Does it leave you indifferent? Or is it stressing you out?
• Is it absolutely necessary to go on this trip amid COVID-19?
Yes, I really have to go on this business trip. How can I protect myself?
Due to the extreme conditions of this global pandemic and the guidelines of many countries, most business trips are expected to be canceled. However, if you have a critical trip to any destination in the world (whether there are recorded cases or not), which has to follow an extreme deadline, it is necessary to follow the instructions below:
• Wash your hands often, after leaving the hotel and before eating. Wash for 20 seconds or more.
• Do not go out or contact anyone if you have flu-like symptoms.
• Wear a face mask in areas that have been hit hard to protect yourself and those around you, demonstrating a sense of social responsibility.
• Always keep your distance when you do not need to be close to others.
• During the hours when it is mandatory to be in the same place as your colleagues, keep a 2-meter distance from everyone.
• Take care of your health by giving priority to your sleep and a proper diet.